On January 30, 2024, MOHAN Foundation conducted an awareness session on organ donation at the Conference Hall, Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences (JNIMS), Porompat, for the nursing students of the College of Nursing, Medical Directorate, Lamphelpat. Ms. Laishram Monica Devi, Programme Officer, and Ms. Thoidingjam Udayini Khuman, Transplant Coordinator of MOHAN Foundation, conducted the programme.
As a continuation of the awareness campaign that was launched on January 4, 2024, the 5th session was conducted at JNIMS. The session was coordinated by the principal of the college. The nursing students and the faculties accompanying them were the participants of the session.
Ms. Udayini started the session by evaluating the students' prior knowledge of organ donation and transplantation. She briefed about the objectives and vision of the MOHAN Foundation. She also highlighted the kidney transplant programme running in Manipur.
The session was then taken over by Ms. Monica, where the following points were discussed with the help of a PowerPoint presentation:
• Organ donation and its types
• Status of the organ donation and transplant waiting list in India
• A law enacted for transplantation
• Circulatory death vs. brain death
• 1st and 2nd deceased donations done at Manipur
• Facts and myths about organ donation
• Corneal transplant and eye bank
• The importance of family consent in the process of organ donation
• How to pledge or sign up for organ donation
• Professional courses offered by MF
Later, the team had a brief interaction with the participants, and frequently asked questions (FAQs) on organ donation were also distributed to the participants for a better understanding of the topic.
At the end of the session, some of the participants came up for pledging, and the rest wanted to discuss it with their family and friends.
Close to 85 participants attended the session, and 24 of them pledged to donate organs