On January 26, 2023, MOHAN Foundation conducted an online awareness session on “how to be an organ donor” on the Zoom Platform.
Participants from different cities, like Aizawl, Shillong, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Kuwait, and others, with different backgrounds, like students, health professionals, business professionals, etc., attended the session.
Ms. Laishram Monica Devi, Program Officer, MOHAN Foundation, Imphal, opened the session by introducing MOHAN Foundation, its objectives, and its mission. She explained the concepts of organ donation by using a PowerPoint presentation.
Ms. Monica shared a brief overview of how organ donation saves lives and how anyone can become an organ donor. She then explained the following points in detail:
• Organ donation and its need
• Types of donations
• Status of organ donation and transplant waiting lists in India
• laws enacted for transplantation.
• Present the scenario in the context of organ donation.
• Simplifying brain death
• Organ Donation Facts and Myths
• Eye donation.
• The importance of the donor card
• how to pledge or sign up for organ donation on the MOHAN Foundation's website.
• The importance of family consent in the process of organ donation
She also shared with them the progress of the living donor transplant programme at the government-run hospital, Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences. They were also sensitised to the ever-growing need for organ transplants due to the rise of end-stage organ diseases.
At the end of the session, the MOHAN Foundation team thanked the participants for attending the session. The participants showed their keen interest in discussing the cause of organ donation with their families and friends.
About 29 participants attended the session.