On November 7, 2023, MOHAN Foundation conducted an awareness programme on organ donation at the American Oncology Institute (AOI), Khabeisoi, Manipur. Ms. Laishram Monica Devi, Programme Officer, MOHAN Foundation, and Ms. Thoidingjam Udayini Khuman, Transplant Coordinator, MOHAN Foundation, were the resource persons for the session.
The session was coordinated by Mr. Manas Mazumdar, Facility Director, AOI, and Ms. Nongmeikapam Anjali Devi, Patient Care Coordinator, AOI. And the participants of the session were the staff of the hospital.
The MOHAN Foundation team was welcomed by the staff. Ms. Udayini began the session by introducing the MOHAN Foundation, its objectives, and its visions. She then asked the participants’ understanding of organ donation and transplantation.
Ms. Monica continued the session by explaining a brief overview of how organ donation saves lives and how anyone can become an organ donor. She then explained the following points in detail with the help of a PowerPoint presentation:
• Facts and figures about people waiting for transplants
• Organ donation rate in India
• Organ donation and its needs
• Types of donors.
• Law enacted for transplantation.
• Brain death and the cases of potential brain death turning into actual deceased donors in Manipur
• The process involved in making a donation successful
• Non-Transplant Organ Retrieval Centres (NTORC) and criteria to be considered for a hospital to register for them
• The importance of family consent in the process of organ donation.
• Process of pledge registration on the website of the National Organs and Tissues Transplant Organisation (NOTTO).
• Courses offered by the MOHAN Foundation
Participants enthusiastically contributed to the discussion and posed questions during the presentation.
After the session, 15 participants volunteered to pledge for organ donation, and the rest wanted to discuss with their families and friends before taking the decision to sign up for organ donation.
Close to 40 participants attended the session.