On September 11, 2023, Dr Muneet Kaur Sahi, Programme Manager at the NCR office of the MOHAN Foundation, conducted a session on organ donation for the students at Gurugram University, Haryana. Dr Muneet was accompanied by Ms. Simran Anand, Programme Officer at the MF NCR office. Mr. Sanchit Arora, the MF Intern at the NCR office, coordinated the session. Mr. Sanchit is completing his Master of Public Health degree at Gurugram University. During his internship, Mr. Sanchit has already organised two awareness sessions.
The session's organizers from the university side were Dr Neelam Vashisht, Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Gurugram University, and Dr Renu Chaudhary, Director of Youth Welfare & In Charge of Law Department, Gurugram University. Students from the management, physiotherapy, law, and pharmaceutical sciences stream attended the session. Faculty members, including Dr Karthikeyan T Chairperson, Department of Physiotherapy, Gurugram University, also attended the session.
Mr. Sanchit and the university faculty welcomed and introduced the MF team to the students. MF was introduced to the audience by Ms. Simran. Dr Muneet initiated the session by inquiring about the participants' knowledge of organ donation. Participants engaged in an intensively interactive discussion regarding the topic. She then explained the fundamental principles of organ donation and transplantation using a PowerPoint presentation. The following subjects were discussed in depth:
• The importance of organ donation in society
• When and how does organ donation take place?
• Organs that can be donated during life and after death
• Transplant waiting list in India
• Organ donation rate per million population in India
• Brain death
• difference between brain death and coma
• Role of police in deceased organ donation
• Role of the MOHAN Foundation
• Cornea donation
• How to pledge for organ donation
• Green corridor
• Myths and facts about organ donation
A short informative film on brain death was also shown and the importance of family consent in the process of organ donation was explained to the students.
Throughout the session, the participants frequently posed questions. To name a few.
• How do I get involved with the MF team to contribute to awareness events?
• What is the difference between coma and brain death?
Close to 204 participants (200 students and 4 faculty members) attended the talk.