MOHAN Foundation conducted an awareness session on organ donation at Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) Training School, Nand Nagri Depot, Delhi
On 19 May 2023, MOHAN Foundation (MF) held its second session on organ donation for the new class of bus drivers and conductors at the DTC Training School, Nand Nagri Depot, Delhi. This session was conducted in accordance with the DTC headquarters' May 2023 session schedule. Ms. Simran Anand, Programme Officer at the MF Delhi office, was the session's presenter.
Ms. Simran began the session by asking the participants about their understanding of organ donation. She then used a PowerPoint presentation to introduce the topic of organ donation and its concepts.
The term brain death was explained with the help of a short informative film. Ms. Simran explained to the participants the various steps involved in a brain death declaration and clarified the concept of legal death. The following topics were explained in detail:
• The importance of organ donation in society
• When and how does organ donation take place?
• Organs that can be donated during life and after death
• Transplant waiting list in India
• Brain death
• difference between brain death and coma
• Role of police in deceased organ donation
• Role of the MOHAN Foundation
• Myths and facts about organ donation
• Eye donation
• How to pledge for organ donation
• Green corridor
Throughout the session, the participants frequently posed questions. To name a few:
• If one has pledged for organ donation and will need an organ in the future, will that person get any help to get the organ?
• What is the difference between coma and brain death?
• What is the procedure for pledging for organ donation?
Close to 65 participants attended the session.