On 30th March 2018, MOHAN Foundation, Delhi was invited by Medanta - The Medicity to speak on organ donation at the Monthly Meeting of the Senior Citizen's Forum, Nirvana Club, Gurgaon.
Dr. Yatin Mehta (Chairman, Institute of Critical Care & Anaesthesiology, Medanta) gave a presentation on the basics of Organ Donation. He spoke on Cardiac death and Brain death, Identification of Brain dead person, certification and declaration of brain death, the brain death declaration team and the importance of Organ Donation.
The talk was then taken forward by Ms. Pallavi Kumar( Executive Director, MOHAN Foundation). She spoke on the social aspects of organ donation, when can organs be donated, who can donate organs and the importance of family's consent in the process of organ donation. She also spoke on Eye donation and the process of retrieval of corneas. She also shared some of her donor stories with the audiences.
The talk was followed by an open house discussion were the audience posed questions related to the topic. Some of their queries from individual members from the audience were:
1. If have already given permission to use my organs after death, why is it important to take permission from my children?
2. As I am 84 years old now, can I be a heart donor after my death?
3. What is the role of NGOs in promoting the cause of organ donation?
4. I had cataract surgery. Can I donate my eyes?
5. What are the organs that can be donated after natural death or death at home?
All the queries were well addressed by Dr Mehta and Ms.Kumar.
Close to 120 guests attended the session and an equal number of donor cards were picked up.